A la francaise

Perpignan Post: (Not) Working from Home

Written by admin

Working from home is never easy, but today looks as if it will be even worse than usual as it is 11.49 and so far I have done just 35 minutes work.  I try to keep the balance right by designating certain days as ‘work’ days, and on those days I aim to be smartly dressed (scruffy jeans for ‘home’ days only), and if I have no appointments, am at my desk by 9am.  My ‘office’ is a room in the back part of the house, just the other side of the living room, next to the laundry/boiler room area. I only mention this so you know that I have the minimum of distractions there (far from the coffee machine and no view of the pool), and that my commute to work is not too arduous.

09.00 – At desk, raring to go.

09.15 – Finish catching up on the gossip on Facebook and Twitter and open email page.

09.25 – Finish deleting all the spam (I don’t want my loft insulating, or to help Reverend Mbawe get his millions out of Nigeria, or have my penis enlarged (?!)), and finally open an enquiry from a client who asks…

09.26 – Dogs want to go outside.

09.27 –  Dogs want to come back inside.

09.31 – Cat appears on window-sill wanting to come in.  Apparently not.  Maybe later.

09.32 – Pick up all the papers that have blown onto the floor when window was opened.  Back to the email from the client who wants to know if…. 

09.34 – Cat reappears and seems to be starving to death.  Apparently his bowl is not completely full.  I remedy the situation.

09.37 – Back to desk and the client who wants to know if I can help with renting out his holiday villa.  Google the address and it looks a good property so I start typing a reply with the list of….  

09.45 – Doorbell rings and I fight my way past the dogs who still believe they can get out through a door before it is fully opened.  Postman is at the gate and needs a signature for a parcel delivery.

09.47 – In bathroom running arm under cold water until the bleeding stops and then applying a plaster to the scratch I received when a dog managed to push me into the rose-bush so he could be first to greet the postman.  NB. Possibly not deliberate.

09.55 – Back to the enquiry and I manage to send the reply, ask for a convenient time to visit, send a list of questions, and also to…. 

10.15 –  Partner turns up as he was ‘just passing’ en route to another appointment and thought it would be nice to have coffee together.

10.25 – Spend 30 minutes sitting in the garden having coffee together (see my Blogpost of 12th Jan re not drinking coffee at desks).

10.55 – Partner leaves, informs me that he will be back for lunch.  How nice.

11.00 – Delete two more spam emails then spend several minutes trying to work out how to block them, discover an important email in ‘Junk Mail’ folder, write apologetic email explaining the delay, continue replying to…

11.17 – Go outside to see why dogs are barking crazily.  Remove frog from pool and return it to pond.

11.29 – Finish last email then print out a document ready for a visit this afternoon.  Google ‘Why is my printer not responding’.  Do not understand explanation.  Unplug printer.  Plug printer back in.  Print document.

11.43 – Telephone call.  Apparently it is my lucky day – a technician is in my area and can give me a quote for loft insulation.  I teach them a few English words they may not have heard before.

11.49 – Give up and write blogpost.

Leave a Comment